Wednesday 22 October 2014

Tentacle Assignment


For this assignment I have been asked too create a tentacled creature. I will be looking at different sources of inspiration from both fantasy worlds and the real world.

Tentacle Mood Board

Sketchbook Work


You can see here how I have developed my thoughts and looked at various sources of inspiration such as video games, movies and folklore. On the left of the page I have looked at the Kraken and how over time it has been developed from a basic monster too a towering abomination. On the right hand side I talk about real world inspirations, the squids beak would go on to be a part of my design.
My main sources of inspiration.
The video game Resident Evil 5 was without a doubt my biggest inspiration. The monsters you fight in this game all seem too have a bundle of tentacles that form into limbs. A swirling mass of horrific black worms that act together to overcome their foe. I want too take this and use it on my initial design, along with other classic features associated with sea creatures.

I want my creature too move in the same way as the Mimic aliens out of the film Edge of Tomorrow (Live Die Repeat) they move at a frightening speed with purpose and weight. Stopping suddenly too attack or observe.


Initial Design


My first drawing. I wasn't happy with how this drawing turned out. It is (in my opinion) to 'cute'. It looked nothing like the monster I was looking to create. It is also way too complicated. The many different aspects/ features of this drawing distracts the audience from it purpose as a creature that lurks the seabed looking for food. I also dislike how the drawing doesn't reflect the tripod posture I was going for. The body needs to be lower. 

Developing my creature.


My final design. The result of my inspirations and development.

Final Design


My finalized design.

My final design in color has been developed from my previous drawing. I removed many features and simplified the torso. I lowered the body down and placed the squid beak on the creatures belly allowing it to lower itself down to pick up food from the sea floor. It can also act as a weapon in times of need.

The colors I have used are all from an actual crab that I took into Photoshop. I transferred over the color from the crab too my design so it is color accurate too real life animals. I did however struggle too shade my design using my Wacom tablet this is something I will need to improve upon over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment