Monday 2 March 2015

Maya: Low Poly T Rex

This project was set by a tutor, it was to make a low poly T Rex in Maya.

We were handed a scene and guided through the process of building it up from a box using a reference image. 


I moved the box into the position of the head so that I could work my way down the body starting with the head and neck. Using the extrude tool and edge loop tool I created the head leaving the neck open. I shaped the head by adjusting the verts individually to a point where I feel they should be.


I made the eye socket using extrude and scale. From this point onward I extruded each edge individually from its head down its neck, I then merged the verts connecting each face together.


I carried this process on over and over until the main body was complete, I then shaped the body by changing vertices and moving them into position.


I built the legs and feet by extruding them out from the body. However unfortunately I forgot to document the process. I transferred the finished model into Maya 2015 from Maya 2014, I did this so that I could make use of the cut uv edges tool.


Once the arms and legs were complete I smoothed all of the edges and began mapping the uv's using cut uv edges. I cut up the faces and began mapping them out.




Once all of the uv's had been unfolded and laid out, the process of building and mapping the low poly T Rex was complete.

Finished model fully mapped out and ready for texturing.
I am pleased with the final outcome of this project, but I do feel as if my workflow could of been more efficient at times, however that being said I did learn from making this T Rex. Laying out the uv's on an organic model is something I haven't done before and learning this process is something that will be useful in the foreseeable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment