Tuesday 24 March 2015

Photoshop: Painting an Anthropomorphic Frog

This project we had to design a frog using anthropomorphic design. What is anthropomorphic design? It is designing an object with human features/ emotion.
Follow the link below to learn more about anthropomorphic design.


I started off planning to paint a couple of frogs standing up, I left room on the right hand side of the canvas to paint another design if I had time too. I started drawing out the outlines and lining out the features of the frog using light black lines.


I used an image of a frog found online as a reference.


I painted over the frog on a separate layer using the colour picker to select the colour in the photo. This meant I got a more accurate depiction of the frog. It also copied over the lighting and allowed Me to create better shading. 


I used a technique called daubing, I dabbed the paint brush over and over constantly changing the colour of the brush to the the colour of the photo behind it.

Once I had put blotches of paint onto the new layer I used the smudge tool to blur together the colours, and make it look more like a painting.


You can see how I repeated this process over and over within the outline I drew out until the main body was complete.


I completed the rest of the body without any reference, I struggled with this as Photoshop painting accurately without using reference is something i'm not used too. I'm sure over time however I will improve using paint without any reference.

Finished piece.

I am happy with how this painting turned out, especially the colour, however due to time constraints I rushed the legs and arms. They are untidy and don't really fit in with the torso. I need to get in more practice using this technique however I am pleased that i'm pushing my own limits and trying methods of working outside of my comfort zone. If I was to return to this piece I would definitely finish painting the legs and refine the outlines/ proportions.

No comments:

Post a Comment