Tuesday 12 April 2016

Part Six: Ninja Kebab, First Person Shooter (CGA Year Two)

This post will explain how I created seamless materials using Quixel; for our game, Red Hail.
Using Razvan's final concept as reference I went about creating multiple materials; I didn't however just take materials straight out of Quixel's default library. I created my own by blending them together.


By adjusting the normal's I managed to create a nice effect on this white plastic. This material was the most important as it will be placed on most of the assets in scene. I also used dynamask to create depth.

Painted Steel.


I used ndo on this material to create repeating lines. This simulates (using a normal map) a bumped surface, I will place this both on cables, and panels.

I also created transparency maps to use in game. Transparency maps allow me to fake detail and create shapes that would otherwise be expensive on my tri count.


I created a black and white version of this grid, then placed it into the alpha channel of the specular. map. Then when it is placed in engine I can set the alpha to be transparent, making anything that's black on the alpha transparent.

Image placed into Alpha channel.
I made the grid a 4k seamless texture using offset in Photoshop. However I forgot to take screenshots of this process. It is important for me to make this texture seamless so I can tile it in Unity if I need to.


I also created blood splats and a set of sci-fi decals to be placed around the level. These were created using the same method as the grid.


Here you can see exactly how I went about setting up my materials in Unity.

No comments:

Post a Comment